Put on your white pants for one last time this weekend while reading these top five stories from CLOmedia.com for the week of Aug. 31.
1. Cisco Reinvents Social Learning: To support its transition to a global services organization, Cisco Systems Inc. built an interactive learning platform where employees can access training, share content, ask questions and collaborate with experts.
2. The End of the Master's Degree?: As graduate school gets more expensive, some question whether master's degrees are even worth the cost — especially when CLOs can deliver more immediate learning.
3. Gen Y: First Comes Marriage: Contrary to popular belief, millennials are more likely to have kids in wedlock than the previous generation. Editors Ladan Nikravan and Frank Kalman share why CLOs should care.
4. Look to Gen X for Leadership: Focusing too much on millennials and baby boomers? You might have forgotten the generation currently managing and affecting your organization.
5. Why Managers Should Control Less, Connect More: Psychology shows that leaders should look for an emotional connection, not a hierarchical and domineering one.
On Another Note …
Uber drivers now have class action status, a big deal in their fight to earn employee status against the ride-sharing service, reports The Wall Street Journal.
Also, middle managers are more likely to be anxious and depressed, according to Business Insider.
Finally, why you need to stop trying to fail fast, via Entrepreneur.