It's the first full weekend without football in about six months, so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to read these top five stories from Talentmgt.com for the week of Jan. 19.
1. How to Talk the Talk: Public speaking is a frightening but essential practice for today’s business executives. Here are some tricks of the trade.
2. Sam Walton’s 5 Secrets to Management Success: Employees want to be appreciated and respected, so use positive reinforcement to illicit extra effort.
3. 4 Ways to Maximize Online Recruiting: The Internet has revolutionized recruiting. While there are benefits aplenty, talent managers need to refine their strategy.
4. Finding the ‘Silver Bullet’: Discovering the remedy for the workplace starts with measuring trust levels and talking with employees, writes columnist Jac Fitz-enz.
5. The Pursuit of Happiness: Some companies have appointed ‘chief happiness officers’ to boost engagement and productivity. Is the idea worthy of talent managers’ attention?
In Other News …
President Barack Obama addressed the issue of childcare in his State of the Union address on Jan. 20. The Wall Street Journal touches on why child care is a career issue. Read here.
Also, the tough interview question this tech CEO always asks, via Business Insider. Read here.
Finally, networking is an invaluable tool in business. The Economist writes about how to master it. Read here.