Build a snow fort and read these top five stories from CLOmedia.com for the week of Jan. 12.
1. How Starbucks Brews Leadership | Video: The next time you grab a latte, consider these ways that Starbucks Coffee Co. consistently develops leadership skills in thousands of international employees.
2. Can You Teach Emotional Intelligence?: It’s not as straightforward as teaching new technical or financial information, but developing emotional intelligence can have strong benefits for relationship building, leadership development and performance.
3. Classroom Leadership Development, Table-Free: Hard drive manufacturer HGST changed its culture by sending employees back to the playroom.
4. Picking the Best Learning Approach for Your Organization | Video: Massive open online courses and virtual and social collaboration have muscled into the territory of traditional classroom learning and course-based corporate universities, but the increasing number of choices has made it more difficult for companies to choose the right one for them.
5. Look on the Bright Side of Learning: Learning leaders’ spirits are steadily improving thanks to burgeoning budgets and a sharper focus on both informal learning and mobile technology.
On Another Note …
People are constantly told they spend too much time on their laptops, smartphones and other devices. But what if people needed more screen time, not less? Fast Company explores. Read here.
Also, computers are learning to read emotion on your face. What does it mean for business? The New Yorker has more. Read here.
Finally, how to apply to a job at a company that isn't hiring, via Business Insider. Read more here.