With so many conferences and meetings this time of year, it’s hard to keep up with industry news. Catch up on these top five stories from CLOmedia.com for the week of Oct. 19.
1. 2015 Learning in Practice Winners: Celebrating those who have crafted new and innovative education initiatives, the Learning in Practice Awards feature over 70 of the nation’s leading individuals and organizations in the learning and development industry.
2. The Dangers of Being Perfect: Being a perfectionist isn’t what it’s cracked up to be.
3. Unlearn Before You Can Change: Without behavioral extinction, spending energy on teaching new habits will be ill spent. If you fail to extinguish the old behaviors, employees will resort to their old ways.
4. Why Employees Don’t Get Respect — and Managers Don’t Give It: Want to know why your employees are unhappy? One of these five disrespectful management practices may be the answer.
5. Is Learning Different Than Other HR Disciplines?: Learning and development departments might be fundamentally different and not best positioned in human resources.
On Another Note …
Expressing genuine empathy can help increase business, says Fast Company.
While technology takes over many jobs, those who use strong social skills are more likely to have job security. Bloomberg Business discusses.
Fun work environments keep young workers happy, says BBC.